We will strive to provide every student in California access to the skills, knowledge and financial means to pursue a meaningful career in the foodservice industry.
Ensuring the future of the restaurant industry
The restaurant workforce is massive, with all signs pointing to exponential growth. The National Restaurant Association projects a more than 10 percent boost in California's restaurant employment over the next decade, with the number of employees ballooning from more than 1.4 million in 2012, to nearly 1.6 million by 2022. Building up a skilled and educated workforce is crucial to the future of the industry's growth. The Foundation's ProStart and scholarship programs bridge the gap for the employment needs of the industry, fostering talented students who are passionate about pursuing meaningful foodservice careers.
- California's restaurant industry employs more than 1.4 million people, or nearly 10 percent of the state's workforce
- The industry is expected to add 145,900 jobs over the next decade, with employment reaching nearly 1.6 million by 2022
- Nationally, every additional $1 million in restaurant sales generates 34 jobs for the economy
- 1 in 4 workers got their start in the restaurant industry
- 80 percent of restaurant owners started in entry-level positions
Keep up-to-date on the latest Foundation news and events.
Our ProStart alumni are going places. Let their journeys inspire you to get involved.
We’ve all heard it before: it takes a village. And, certainly, such is the case with ProStart.
Our board of industry veterans give back through their Foundation commitment.